One sunny day you try to log into your Windows computer, you type in what you believe is your Windows password, and then remember you’ve forgotten it! You scramble to try various letter and number combinations to see what can work, but with no success. What can you do now? How can you reset your forgotten Windows 10 password?
Here’s how to reclaim your Microsoft Live 10 login, as well as the passwords for any other users who have signed up for the local computer.
Luckily, recovering your password in Windows 10 is very similar to recovering your password in Windows 8 and higher. Only few minor differences apply.
Table of contents
OFFICIAL MICROSOFT PASSWORD RESET TOOL FOR LIVE ACCOUNTS
Usually the most common solution to reset your Windows 10 password is to use is the standard password reset function coming directly from Microsoft corp (see: Microsoft password reset website). On this official Microsoft website you will find three choices. You should follow the “I Forgot My Password” option (assuming you’re trying to recover any accounts that are tied to your online account). See image below:
If you make it through the presented steps you will see a typical a password recovery process. If you’ve already registered email address or a cellphone number and associated it with your account, you can receive a verification code which will be later used to recover your Windows 10 account.
EASIEST WAY: USE KON-BOOT TO BYPASS WINDOWS 10 PASSWORD
Sometimes the password is lost or forgotten and you have no real option to recover it. Meaning you haven’t registered your account with your e-mail or maybe even this is an local account and you have not idea what the password is.
People often forget their passwords, it happens daily. We are dealing with clients who forgot their login and passwords everyday. We’ve created a tool that aids people with this issue. KON-BOOT automates the entire process and also is the only worldwide solution that can bypass Windows 10 live / online account passwords.
Kon-Boot tool can bypass your Windows password on almost any Windows operating system (XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10). And this is all without overwriting your old password and without any knowledge of your past password! With kon-boot you can enter your Windows account in matter of seconds.
- CREATE KON-BOOT USB MEDIA
- BOOT YOUR TARGET SYSTEM WITH IT, FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON THE SCREEN AND THAT’S ALL (SEE VIDEO BELOW)
CHECK OUT OFFICIAL KON-BOOT PAGE HTTPS://KON-BOOT.COM
THE UTILMAN TRICK AND RESETTING WINDOWS 10 PASSWORD
If you want to use the hard way, here it is, especially if you don’t have a recovery disk or a Microsoft account to help you reset your password. If you don’t want all the manual work described below simply use KON-BOOT. Otherwise to reset your forgotten Windows 10 password you need to follow the guide below:
- Turn on your computer, wait for Windows logo to appear. Then press the power button to force the computer to power off (hard reset). Now, turn it on again, Windows should detect a problem and you should be greeted by the screen below:
- From the menu choose Advanced options. Next navigate to Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and finally System Image Recovery.
- Click Cancel, afterwards click on Next.
- On the next screen, select Advanced and then Install a driver. Confirm with OK. Explorer window shoud appear
- On the left side of the screen, click This PC.
- Open up the C:\ drive (it could be named Local Disk (C:\) or Windows 10 (C:\) depending on active computer configuration)
- Navigate to Windows directory, select System32, and scroll down until you find the file named utilman. Right-click on it, pick Rename option, and rename it to whatever you like, such as Utilmanpassword. Note the name for later
- Now, scroll up until you find the cmd file. Make a copy of that file (click on it, then use CTRL+C and CTRL+V). File should be duplicated. Now rename the original cmd file to utilman (yes, the previous file you have renamed in previous steps).
- That should be all. Now close all windows and select Exit and continue to Windows 10. After a while you should see the typical Windows 10 login screen.
- After Windows loads, click on the Ease of Access button, command prompt window should appear (this is because we have replaced the Utliman utility with the command prompt program – this will let us to reset the forgotten Windows 10 password)
- Type following command in the newly arrived window:
- Press ENTER , this command will list all the accounts registered in this Windows 10 system. Find the one you want to log into, let say your username is “Patrick”. Now type following command in the command prompt window again:
net user Patrick *
- Windows 10 should ask you to confirm the new password. Hit ENTER twice to use an empty password.
- Voila! Now close this window and then log in with an empty password by normally hitting the arrow button. Congratulations you have successfully reset your forgotten Windows 10 password.
We hope you have found this article useful and we navigated you through the process of resetting your forgotten Windows 10 password.